Canon Launches the New RF 85mm f/1.2L USM Lens
The Ultimate Portrait Lens that Continues the Legacy of Canon’s 85mm f/1.2 Lens on EOS R System
HONG KONG, 8 May 2019 — Canon Hongkong today announces the new RF 85mm f/1.2L USM large aperture portrait lens continuing the legacy of Canon’s 85mm f/1.2 portrait lens on the new EOS R Mirrorless System. The 85mm lens has an ideal focal length for shooting portraits, it provides a natural perspective and separation of the subject relative to the background suitable for portraits. The new optical design of this lens takes full advantages of short back focus distance and large diameter of the RF lens mount. With Canon’s leading optical technology including Canon’s proprietary BR (Blue Spectrum Refractive) lens which possesses anomalous dispersion characteristics to refract blue light greatly to reduce chromatic aberrations significantly, ground aspherical lens, UD lens and ASC (Air Sphere Coating), RF 85mm f/1.2L USM achieves the highest optical performance among Canon’s 85mm interchangeable lenses where superior image quality is realized even at maximum aperture of f/1.2. Together with the high durability and dust-and-water resistant performance of L-series lenses that meet the demand of tough shooting environment, this professional 85mm lens is the ultimate choice for professional portrait and wedding photographers and videographers.
RF 85mm f/1.2L USM Portrait Lens
A shallow depth of field with amazingly
RF 85mm f/1.2L USM – The Ultimate f/1.2 Large Aperture Portrait Lens Designed for EOS R System
- Target customer: Professional Photographers and Videographers, Advanced Amateurs
- Shooting Themes: Professional Portrait and Wedding Photography
- Developed with Canon’s leading optical technology to take the full advantages of short back focus distance and large diameter of the RF lens mount
- A large f/1.2 aperture offers a shallow depth of field with amazingly soft background blurring
- Newly developed 13 elements in 9 groups optical design with effectively placement of BR lens, ground aspherical lens and UD lens element to achieve the highest optical performance among Canon’s interchangeable lenses with 85mm focal length even at f/1.21
- Use of 1 UD lens to reduce axial chromatic aberration and chromatic aberration of magnification
- Use of Canon’s proprietary BR lens which is a compound lens which incorporates Blue Spectrum Refractive Optics to reduce chromatic aberration not completely correctable with glass lenses for even higher imager quality
- Use of 1 Ground aspherical lens to reduce spherical aberration and comatic aberration for superior image quality from center to periphery
- Ring-type USM and inner focus system for fast and accurate AF; Full-time Manual Focus is also supported
- Application of ASC (Air Sphere Coating) to reduce lens flare and ghosting caused by reflections and improve image clarity and contrast when shooting into backlight
- 9-blade circular aperture delivers beautiful and soft background blur
- 0.85m minimum focusing distance with 0.12x maximum magnification
- Incorporates the RF lens control ring to adjust assigned camera settings such as ISO speed, shutter speed or aperture value directly from the lens
- Same high level of durability and shock resistance as EF L-series lenses to meet the demand of professional users
- Fluorine coating on foremost and rearmost lens surfaces helps prevent dust, oil and water sticking to the lens and makes cleaning easy by a dry cloth
- Dust-and-water-resistant design to enable shooting in harsh conditions
- A new Lens Hood ET-89 and Lens Case LP1424 are included
Estimated Retail Price : HK$21,380
Estimated Sales Start Date : June 2019
About Canon Hongkong Company Limited
Canon Inc. (TSE:7751 / NYSE:CAJ) was founded in 1937 in Japan. Its predecessor, Precision Optical Instruments Laboratory, produced Japan's first 35 mm focal-plane-shutter camera “Kwanon” in 1934. Canon Inc. eventually expanded into the photocopying and printing industries, launching Japan's first plain-paper copier NP-1100 in 1970 and the world's first inkjet printer BJ-80 in 1985. Through the years, Canon Inc. has acquired in-depth experience in digital imaging product manufacturing, and research and development. It is a leader in the development of innovative products and holds the most technology patents in the imaging industry. Canon Inc. also makes a significant contribution to the promotion of photography. Today, Canon Inc. has a strong global presence and is one of the most important market players in the imaging, office and industrial product categories. As of 31 December 2018, Canon's global revenue was US$35.6 billion.
One of the company’s first offices in Asia, Canon Hongkong Co., Ltd. (CHK) was established in 1971. It is responsible for the sales, marketing and after-sales services for all Canon product lines in Hong Kong and Macau. With the solely owned subsidiary Canon Business Solutions (Guangdong) Co., Ltd.” established in 2018, the company can also provide intelligent total business solutions and professional services to companies in the Greater Bay Area. CHK adheres to Canon’s corporate philosophy of “kyosei”, which encourages the company and its staff to participate in social, charitable and environmental activities in the community. CHK implements internationally-recognized management systems and has achieved ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 27001 (Canon Digital Production Center) and OHSAS 18001 certification. For more information about Canon Hongkong, please visit our website: https://hk.canon/.
The RF 85mm f/1.2L USM achieves the highest optical performance (MTF) at maximum aperture among Canon's 85mm autofocus lenses for interchangeable cameras (DSLRs and mirrorless) available as of 8 May 2019. Based on Canon’s research.
With EOS R Body, however it is not recommended for use under rain.