Canon Unveils New EOS Ra Full-frame Mirrorless Camera for Astrophotography
Discover the Fathomless Beauty of Starry Night Sky with Exceptional Image Quality
HONG KONG, 6 NOV 2019 – Canon Hong Kong today proudly introduce the new EOS Ra, Canon’s first Full-frame mirrorless camera specialized for astrophotography, to meet the need of astronomy enthusiasts and expand the possibility of EOS R system. Developed based on EOS R and inherited most of its superior functions, EOS Ra features a modified low-pass filter offering approx. 4 times more Hydrogen-Alpha light transparency than EOS R for capturing clearer images of red nebulae. The introduction of EOS Ra allows astronomy enthusiasts to capture higher quality astronomical images benefited from EOS R mirrorless camera system and explore the wonders of night sky in brilliant details.
EOS Ra – Full-frame Mirrorless Camera for Astrophotography
Made for: astronomy enthusiasts
Best for: astrophotography
- Canon’s first full-frame mirrorless camera with modified optical characteristics specialized for astrophotography 
- Equipped with a special low-pass filter modified to increase hydrogen-alpha light (656.3nm) transparency approx. 4x higher than EOS R. It can capture clearer images of the deep-red wavelengths emitted by red nebulae in vivid colour (which are difficult for normal cameras)
- RF mount design accommodates high quality RF lenses such as RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM
- Newly added a 30x Live View magnification for users to examine small details and make precise adjustment using manual focus
- 30.3-megapixels Canon Full-frame CMOS image sensor and DIGIC 8 digital image processor provide excellent low noise image
- Standard ISO range of 100-40000 and expandable to ISO 50-102400
- Incorporates Dual Pixel CMOS AF (DAF) technology for focal plane phase-detection AF without the need of pixel interpolation ensuring the capture of high precision astronomical images. DAF also provides a wide AF area  of 88% (H) x 100% (V)
- Supports on-screen “Focus Distance Display” function for manual focus adjustment when used with RF lenses (such as focus at infinity)
- “Silent Shutter” eliminates shutter-induced vibration for maximum image stability when shooting with a telescope or super-telephoto lens at slow shutter speed
- Supports 4K UHD 30p and 4K time-lapse movie recording
- High Quality 0.5-inch 3.69M-dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder (EVF)
- 3.15-inch 2.1M-dot side-opening Vari-angle Clear View II LCD Monitor with touch function for easy viewing and operation even the camera is mounted on a tripod
- An illuminable top LCD panel for displaying shooting information in dark environment
- Built-in “Bulb Timer” for setting long exposure time
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth low energy technology for smartphone connection
- Rigid magnesium-alloy body with reliable dust-and-water-resistant design 
- Various optional accessories suitable for astrophotography are available including Timer Remote Controller TC-80N3 (use with Remote Control Adapter RA-E3), Wireless Remote Controller BR-E1, AC Adapter AC-E6N and DC Coupler DR-E6 etc.
EOS Ra Image Samples (processed by third party software)
Estimated Retail Price: To be announced
Estimated Sales Start Date: December 2019
About Canon Hongkong Company Limited
Canon Inc. (TSE:7751 / NYSE:CAJ) was founded in 1937 in Japan. Its predecessor, Precision Optical Instruments Laboratory, produced Japan's first 35 mm focal-plane-shutter camera “Kwanon” in 1934. Canon Inc. eventually expanded into the photocopying and printing industries, launching Japan's first plain-paper copier NP-1100 in 1970 and the world's first inkjet printer BJ-80 in 1985. Through the years, Canon Inc. has acquired in-depth experience in digital imaging product manufacturing, and research and development. It is a leader in the development of innovative products and holds the most technology patents in the imaging industry. Canon Inc. also makes a significant contribution to the promotion of photography. Today, Canon Inc. has a strong global presence and is one of the most important market players in the imaging, office and industrial product categories. As of 31 December 2018, Canon's global revenue was US$35.6 billion.
One of the company’s first offices in Asia, Canon Hongkong Co., Ltd. (CHK) was established in 1971. It is responsible for the sales, marketing and after-sales services for all Canon product lines in Hong Kong and Macau. With the solely owned subsidiary Canon Business Solutions (Guangdong) Co., Ltd.” established in 2018, the company can also provide intelligent total business solutions and professional services to companies in the Greater Bay Area. CHK adheres to Canon’s corporate philosophy of “kyosei”, which encourages the company and its staff to participate in social, charitable and environmental activities in the community. CHK implements internationally-recognized management systems and has achieved ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 27001 (Canon Digital Production Center) and OHSAS 18001 certification. For more information about Canon Hongkong, please visit our website: https://hk.canon/.
 EOS Ra is specially designed for astrophotography. For normal shooting, use of other EOS digital interchangeable lens cameras is recommended.
 With compatible lenses only. Compatible lenses include all RF lenses and most of the current EF lenses.
 It is not recommended for use under rain.