Canon Unveils RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM and RF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Expanding the EOS R System with the Compact Telephoto Zoom and an Affordable Standard Prime
And New High Capacity Battery Pack for SELPHY Photo Printers
HONG KONG, 4 NOV 2020 – Canon Hongkong today announces the launch of the new RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM and RF 50mm f/1.8 STM to further expand the RF lens lineup and clearly demonstrate the company’s commitment to the development of EOS R Full-frame Mirrorless Camera System. The two new RF lenses have utilized the optical design benefits of the RF mount to the fullest and provided high image quality, as well as responded to EOS R system users’ preference on lightweight and compact lenses. In addition to the seven RF lenses that have been launched in 2020, the new two lenses also further expanded the RF lens product line.
Compact, Lightweight and High Quality Tele and Close-up Lens
The new RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM has made a major breakthrough in size and portability. Its new tele-zoom design makes the lens size comparable to a standard zoom lens, for example, having a similar size as RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. With a length of only 119mm and a weight of only 695g, it is “the world's shortest and lightest" 70-200mm f/4 telephoto zoom lens. With the excellent optical design, the lens is able to offer high-resolution image quality from the center to the edge of the frame throughout the entire zoom range, and is more suitable for close-up shots. Besides, the new lens can also provide 0.6m minimum focusing distance throughout the whole zoom range with 0.28x maximum magnification (at 200mm). RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is suitable for professional photographers, videographers or photography enthusiasts from the genres of landscape, portrait, sports, news and wildlife photography.
Affordable & Compact “Must-have” Gear for Snapshot
The RF 50mm f/1.8 STM inherits the concept of a high cost performance and light weight standard prime lens with the company’s 50mm f/1.8 feature. This new lens weighs only 160g and 40.5mm in length, and the f/1.8 large aperture offers beautiful background blur (bokeh) to images, which is perfect for portrait photography and snapshot. Besides, it offers 0.25x maximum magnification with 0.3m minimum focusing distance for close-up photography. Having the advantages brought by RF mount design, this affordable large-aperture lens can still offer high image quality, high mobility and compactness, which makes a “must-have” choice for EOS R system users.
Besides, aiming at enhancing the mobile printing experience of SELPHY photo printers, Canon Hongkong has also launched a new high-capacity battery NB-CP2LI, which has greatly increased the power and the number of mobile printing photos by approximately 50% compared with the existing models .
RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM – The World’s Shortest and Lightest 70-200mm f/4 Telephoto Zoom Lens
- Made for: Professional photographers, videographers and advanced photo amateurs
- Best for: Landscape, portrait, sports, photojournalism and wildlife
- The world’s shortest and lightest 70-200mm f/4 telephoto zoom lens with unprecedented compactness
- New zoom-type design to achieve a compact size similar to a standard zoom lens (at 70mm wide end); the lens length and weight are just 119mm and 695g respectively that brings excellent portability
- A newly developed 16 elements in 11 groups optical design with the use 4 UD lens elements to achieve edge-to-edge high resolution throughout the entire zoom range
- Equip with “Electronic Floating Focus Control” with two Nano USMs to drive two lens groups individually to achieve a short minimum focusing distance, reduced “lens breathing” during video recording and high-speed AF
- 0.6m minimum focusing distance throughout the whole zoom range with 0.28x maximum magnification (at 200mm)
- 9-blade circular aperture delivers beautiful and soft background blurApplication of ASC (Air Sphere Coating) to reduce lens flare and ghosting
- Image Stabilizer offers up to 5-stop shake compensation to facilitate handheld shooting and supports IS Mode 1/2/3. Shake compensation is enhanced to 7.5-stop when used with EOS R5 /EOS R6’s in-body-image-stabilization
- Incorporates the RF lens control ring to adjust assigned settings such as ISO speed, shutter speed or aperture value directly from the lens
- Features a white heat shield coating on both body and lens hood to suppress the rise of the lens temperature in hot weather
- High level of durability and shock resistance with dust-and-water-resistant design to meet professional requirement
- Fluorine coating on foremost lens surfaces helps prevent dust, oil and water from sticking to the lens
- A new Lens Hood ET-83G (WIII) and Lens Case LP1319 are included
Estimated Retail Price: HK$13,180
Estimated Sales Start Date: Dec 2020
RF 50mm f/1.8 STM – Affordable Large Aperture Standard Prime Lens
- Made for: High Amateurs and Photo Enthusiasts
- Best for: Portrait, Pets, Food and Snapshots
- An affordable compact large aperture standard lens which weighs only 160g and 40.5mm in length
- f/1.8 large aperture and 7-blade circular aperture bring beautiful background blur to images
- 0.25x max. magnification with 0.3m min. focusing distance for close-up photography
- 6 elements in 5 groups optical design newly developed for RF mount with 1 PMo aspherical lens element to achieve high level of rendering capability and compactness
- Gear-type Stepping Motor (STM) provides fast AF and Smooth Movie Servo AF during movie shooting, Full-time Manual Focus is also supported
- Incorporates “Focus/Control Ring” with a “Focus/Control Selector Switch” for easy switching between Full-time manual focusing and Control Ring operation such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed and exposure compensation adjustment
- Use of metallic lens mount for high durability
- A new optional Lens Hood ES-65B further enhances flare resistance
Estimated Retail Price: HK$1,680
Estimated Sales Start Date: early-Dec 2020
Battery Pack NB-CP2LI – High Capacity Battery Pack for SELPHY Photo Printers
- Mobile printing battery for SELPHY CP1300, CP1200, CP1000 and CP910
- Rated capacity has increased to 1,900mAh, a 47% increase from the NB-CP2LH
- Possible to print approx. 72 sheets of Postcard size photos on the CP1300/CP1000 (33% more compared to the NB-CP2LH)
- Possible to print approx. 180 sheets of Card size photos on the CP1300/CP1000 (50% more compared to the NB-CP2LH)
Estimated Retail Price: To be announced
Estimated Sales Start Date: To be announced
 The world's shortest and lightest interchangeable lens with a focal length of 70-200mm f/4 for interchangeable lens cameras (SLR cameras and mirrorless cameras). As of November 3, 2020. Based on Canon's research.
 When comparing card-size photo printing on CP1300/CP1000.
 CIPA Standard, Focal Length: 200mm, EOS R is used.
 CIPA Standard, Focal Length: 200mm, EOS R5 is used. In Yaw/Pitch directions.
 With EOS R5/R6/R, however it is not recommended for use under rain.
 Recharging battery on SELPHY CP910 is not supported. Please recharge the battery with Charger Adapter CG-CP200 (sold separately).
About Canon Hongkong Company Limited
Canon Inc. (TSE:7751 / NYSE:CAJ) was founded in 1937 in Japan. Its predecessor, Precision Optical Instruments Laboratory, produced Japan's first 35 mm focal-plane-shutter camera “Kwanon” in 1934. Canon Inc. eventually expanded into the photocopying and printing industries, launching Japan's first plain-paper copier NP-1100 in 1970 and the world's first inkjet printer BJ-80 in 1985. Through the years, Canon Inc. has acquired in-depth experience in digital imaging product manufacturing, and research and development. It is a leader in the development of innovative products and holds the most technology patents in the imaging industry. Canon Inc. also makes a significant contribution to the promotion of photography. Today, Canon Inc. has a strong global presence and is one of the most important market players in the imaging, office and industrial product categories. As of 31 December 2019, Canon's global revenue was US$32.7 billion.
One of the company’s first offices in Asia, Canon Hongkong Co., Ltd. (Canon HK) was established in 1971. It is responsible for the sales, marketing and after-sales services for all Canon product lines in Hong Kong and Macau. With the solely owned subsidiary Canon Business Solutions (Guangdong) Co., Ltd.” established in 2018, the company can also provide intelligent total business solutions and professional services to companies in the Greater Bay Area. Canon HK adheres to Canon’s corporate philosophy of “kyosei”, which encourages the company and its staff to participate in social, charitable and environmental activities in the community. Canon HK implements internationally-recognized management systems and has achieved ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 27001 (Canon Digital Production Center) and OHSAS 18001 certification. For more information about Canon Hongkong, please visit our website: https://hk.canon/.