“Canon Hongkong fully supported ‘the Day Run . Night Walk for The Green Earth 2019’
Canon Hongkong Company Limited (CHK) enthusiastically sponsored the Day Run . Night Walk for The Green Earth (TGE) and sending 2 running teams to join the Day Run, 1 management team to support the night walk at Tai Mo Shan, the highest mountain in Hong Kong on 26th January 2019. They all enjoyed the whole day green event, love the vitality of daytime and the beautiful starlight of nighttime with almost 1,000 participants & volunteers, and raised around HK$600,000 for the TGE’s campaigns and education programmes that promote a “zero-waste” culture in society.
In order to demonstrate a zero waste event to the public, TGE encouraged participants to take their litter home and avoid unnecessary waste generation while taking part in their run or walk. Meanwhile they integrated many environmental elements throughout the event, for example,
- Made use of reusable or upcycled materials to produce event backdrop, banners and medals.
- Presented e-Certificate, instead of Paper Certificate with frame.
- Participants should bring their own eating and drinking utensils for refilling water and enjoying the vegetarian food or biscuits.
- Food waste collection bins & different materials recycling bins were placed around the route.
- Musical instruments of “Plastic Band” were made by recycled materials
- Astronomical group was station at the peak, to educate participants about the influence of light pollution and introduce the beauty of starlight.
Mr. Wong Kam-sing, GBS, JP, Secretary for the Environment (left), has been invited as officiating guest of the Night Walk for TGE for the 3rd consecutive year, he was delighted to present the e-Certificate with Dr. Fredrick Lee, Chairman of TGE (right), to Mr. Shunichi Morinaga, President & CEO of CHK (middle).
Mr Edwin Lau, MH, Founder & Executive Director of TGE, and Mr. Wong Kam-sing, kicked start the night walk with the slogan of “Self-responsible for their own waste; let’s join together to reduce waste”.
2 teams were formed to represent CHK to join the Day Run.
CHK Management Team was passionate to finish the 9.9km hiking at Tai Mo Shan from 4:30pm to 7:00pm.